History

St Louis Infant School is the Catholic parish school of Rathmines. It was founded was founded by the Sisters of St Louis in 1940 and shares a campus with St Louis Primary School. Both schools share many facilities in common, including school yards, grounds and the assembly/PE hall. The school shared the resident caretaker Mr Cullen for 61 years until 2001.

While the Infant School has always been a co-educational school, the Senior Primary school was a girls’ only school until 1984 when it amalgamated with Richmond Hill boys’ school and Tranquilla School in Rathmines, and became co-educational. Both schools continue to thrive and, together, they provide the largest primary education facility in the Dublin 6 area. St Louis Schools have always been synonymous with the development of music and that tradition is actively promoted in both schools up to the present day.

Cantairi Óga Átha Cliath was founded in St Louis Primary School in 1961 by Proinsias O Ceallaigh. This choir was conducted by Brian O Dubhghaill until 2013. Cantairi Óga continues to meet in the school. The schools continue to nurture this tradition of music. Pupils are introduced to music in the lnfant School through song-singing. percussion playing, musical  appreciation, school concerts. On transfer to St Louis Primary School pupils have the opportunity to join the school choir, take individual instrumental lessons, join the St Louis Wind and Symphony Orchestra, which hosts past and present pupils. This dynamic orchestra has won several musical awards.